My Blog List

Wednesday 28 February 2018

Middle Earth Battle Companies

A number of Falkirk club members are interested in running a campaign based on the new Battle Companies supplement for the Middle Earth strategy battle game from GW. The core rules are very similar to their Lord of the rings game and in fact the only issue with using these rules is that some of the 22 companies are not covered by ealier versions.  However I don't think that most people will rush out to buy anything new and we will muddle through with what we have.


The basic companies are 5 to 6 models but the idea is to run a number of games from which they will gain experience additional gear and new recruits. Anyone familiar with Mordhiem will notice many similarities.


The campaign has not started yet so I wanted to try a couple of practice games to remind myself of the rules. Richard obliged with his (nasty) dearfs.  The starter companies are actually rather small and the games were pretty quick once we had decided on a basic scenario and got started.  We ran the scenario again with opposite sides (shock horror I got to play dwarfs against elves).  On both occasions the elves seemed a bit better powered than the dwarfs and won.  I forgot to take pictures I am afraid


If the games were all at basic warband level I would not be too interested but I think as warbands develop they the games will get a little more complex and interesting


I used Lothlorien against Richards Durin's Folk.  In the campaign I expect to use Rivendell and with that in mind have purchased some early High Elf figures from John.

Games 14
 Rules played 12 New 7
Places played 3 New 0

4 comments:

  1. Dave, I have tons of Middle Earth and similar figures in my 'not required at home' box.

    Let me know if any of you guys are needing anything at a cheap price and I can have a look for you.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim - I can ask if you like but I think most of the people playing in the campaign have the GW figures already and this is an excuse to dust them off and get them on the table. I might be interested for other fantasy rules - could you give me a rough idea of manufacturers numbers etc? It might be easier if you use the contact me box on the front of my blog - unfortunately I find replies to posts often don't get followed up

      Delete
  2. I see that you are using the Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game which I can get from GW whenever they restock them.

    What do I need in the way of core rules to support them.

    I have The Lord of the Rings return of the King Strategy Battle Game rulebook, blue cover. is that enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Battle Companies is really a collection of lists and scenarios with a system to allow the bands to increase in numbers and experience over a campaign. You can use the rules that you have which is what we did for this game. Depending which companies you use there are some usable stats. One of our club members, who is very much into this, is expecting a new all singing and all dancing Middle Earth strategy rule book later this year which should cover all the bases. My plan is just to use the old rules for the moment and decide later if I want to go for the new book

    ReplyDelete