My Blog List

Wednesday 25 April 2018

Wor Lard goes Fourth

Last Sunday I set my alarm for 4 am to enable me to get out in good time to drive down to the Vane Tempest Hall for the Fourth incarnation of Wor Lard run by Durham Wargames Group.  As with other such Lardy days the idea is to run two sessions in the day covering a variety of Too Fat Lardies rules.  It featured the man himself who ran sessions of the new What a Tanker rules which proved very popular.


My first game was a spectacular Sharp Practice affair on a large board with 40mm figures depicting an Ottoman attack on a Ukrainian Cossack village.  Myself and Conrad, the provider of the figures,  ran the Ottomans and Jim (another Falkirk club member)the Cossacks.  Another Jim, the organiser of the event, acted as umpire.


My only slight criticism of the game was that it was never going to be a half day affair and after 3 hours although fire had been exchanged and casualties caused they had been very little movement on either sides force morale (each side had three commands each with their own force morale table).


The solution to the problem was for the game to continue into the afternoon.  Myself and Falkirk Jim left for our second games.  Jim had a date with Kiss me Hardy run by the third Falkirk club attendee John.  I played Chain of Command as the German defender of an airfield under attack from the LRDG.


It was probably the shortest game of CoC that I have played as I fear the scenario was a bit unbalanced in favour of the Hun.  Although the British had a lot of firepower in two jeeps and a Chevrolet truck, alongside 3 sections on foot and support the vehicles proved vulnerable to the weight of fire the Germans could deliver and once blown up generated enough Bad Things to quickly  erode their force morale.  I didn't even get to deploy my armoured car.  Perhaps a bit unrealistic but even though the watchword of the Lardies rules is 'Play the Period not the Rules' I am too much of a wargamer not to maximise any legitimate advantage that comes my way.  In one superficial sense this is where the game is a realistic simulation of war in that in both it is key that when the momentum of the battle swings your way you need to do your utmost to keep it that way as it can so  easily turn against you.
The first Jeep goes up


With the CoC game finishing early it gave me the opportunity to rejoin the Sharp Practice game.  My Ottomans had reached the village and were able to force their way in.  Conrad did a great job engaging the rest of the Cossacks keeping a lot of units away from the settlement and when time came to pack up it was declared an Ottoman victory.

The Ottomans advance on the Village


A fantastic event, thanks to Jim for organising, the Durham lads for hosting and my opponents for making it all a very enjoyable experience.
Games 29
 Rules played 17 New 7
Places played 5 New 0
 

1 comment:

  1. I knew I should've stayed to guard that village! 😀 Nice write up, Dave; glad you enjoyed it too. Next up Deep Fried Lard and I am soooo getting my name down foe the Italian Wars Sharp Practice game

    ReplyDelete