My Blog List

Monday 21 October 2013

A-Z Book survey


This is another of those lists that do the rounds from time to time, seen here http://glueinthecarpet.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/a-z-book-survey.html.  I started reading before I went to school and have always read a lot.  Currently fiction is mainly SF and Fantasy, non fiction history, but I will dip in anywhere.  I find a lot of inspiration at my local library.Anyway here is my list:

Author you've read the most books from

Impossible question without a bit of research but probably Enid Blyton.  Other possibilities are Agatha Christie and JT Edson
Best sequel ever:
Lieutenant Hornblower (just to  get Hornblower in the list somewhere)

Currently reading:

The Mountain of Gold by JD Davies
The American Civil War by John Keegan (having just started a Longstreet Campaign)

Drink of choice whilst reading

Beer

E-reader or physical book:

I much prefer physical books but the kindle is great if I am going to be away for a day or two and is also good for impulse buys

Fictional character you would probably have dated in high school:
Winston Graham’s Demelza

Glad you gave this book a chance
Gentleman Captain by JD Davies – a tale of Charles II navy that exceeded expectations

Hidden book gem?
That’s me in the Middle by Donald Jack.  Bartholemew Bandy is a great character (in the first four books of the series at least)

Important moment in your book life

Reading Lord of the Rings for the first time.  I was in a complete daze by he time I had finished it and could remember virtually none of what I had read but I was totally blown away.

Just finished:
Happy Hour in Hell byTad Williams. Bobby Dollar is a very unusual angel.


Kind of book you won't read

Celebrity biographies..

Longest book you've read

Possibly Tros of Samothrace by Talbot Mundy.

Major book hangover because of  disappointing endings

Rarely happens – I normally will stop reading if a book is going nowhere

Number of bookcases you own:
6 in total but only 2 filled with proper books.


One book you've read multiple times:

Lord of the Rings and will again

Preferred place to read:
At home in a comfy chair.

Quote that inspires you

That’s sad – I can’t think of any

Reading regret

Je nr regret rein

Series you started and need to finish

Fifty shades?  I only made it through the first 2 chapters of the first book. Or perhaps I won't bother.

Three of your all-time favourite books:

Lord of the Rings – Ross Poldark - Sharpe
Unapologetic fanboy for:
Tolkien 

Very excited for this release:

Sleeping Late on Judgement Day by Tad Williams

Worst bookish habit:

Not wanting to stop reading a good book so not going to bed until very very late when I have work the next morning.

X marks the spot - Start at the top left of your bookshelf and pick the 27th book:

James IV by Norman MacDougall

Your latest book purchase:

Princeps  by LE Modesitt Jnr

Zzz snatcher book (the last book that kept you up waay too late)

Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams

 

5 comments:

  1. Good list Dave and pretty similar to mine in many ways. Didn't put you down for a SF/Fantasy fan though - Tad Williams was a surprise, but there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I've got my list up on my blog now, thanks for the prompt!

    Was turned off by the publicity for Happy Hour in Hell. How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dirty Streets of Heaven was better. Still OK though

      Delete
  3. Interesting A-Z !
    I see with pleasure that you're a LoTR lover ( lover > fan as you know!).
    My favourite quote is :
    "In a hole in the ground, lived a Hobbit."
    Sam

    ReplyDelete